Sunday 28 April 2013

Training for week beginning 21st April

This week has been a real bag of mixed emotions. Training in the gym went really well with the focus on endurance, high reps low weights. I have been working really hard on trying to strengthen my core and lower legs so that I can remain injury free. The aim for the run on Sunday was to attempt two loops of the trails we have been running which we reckoned would be about 13 miles. This would be the longest distance I have ever attempted to run.

All week I had been really excited at attempting my first crack at half marathon distance. On Friday and Saturday I tried to get some decent nights of sleep which I was able to do. Although it has to be said I could have had more on Saturday if it wasn't for watching an incredible game of Basketball between the Chicago Bulls and New York Nets. It went into 3 periods of overtime and I couldn't sleep until I had seen the outcome. I'm a big Bulls fan and have been since the Jordan era. Chicago is a city I have on my bucket list of places to visit. I have a soft spot for the Bears as well and that stems from the Walter Payton era. So when the Bulls picked up the win I went to sleep with a big smile on my face and couldn't wait for the run in the morning.

I woke up this morning at 6.30am raring to go. The weather wasn't the greatest but that wasn't going to put a damper on things. I picked Wayne and Ben up and we drove to the spot where we will start our ultra run in June. Spirits were high and we set off on the run. About a mile in and disaster struck. I felt a twinge just above my Achilles' tendon. Oh no!!!!! I was absolutely devastated. The injury I thought I had recovered from had struck again. It actually didn't feel as bad as in the past but there was definite pain. What could I do?! Turn around with my tail between my legs and head back to the car or try and stretch it and run it off?

I opted to run on with it. Yes I know this was silly but I wanted to do this run so much. The first few miles were agony but I stopped to gently stretch it and so long as I didn't push too hard the pain wasn't too bad. The pain seemed to be coming from where the tendon meets the main muscle of the calf. The actual muscle felt ok and I would be interested to know if anyone could tell me what it is. The podiatrist I have seen thought it was equinus and gave me some orthotics but these obviously didn't help.

The run was around Witton Park and Tockholes and will be the start of the run we do in June. It truly is spectacular scenery as you will be able to tell from my photos. The guys you see in the pics are Ben and Wayne. I had to take a picture of the sheep because we were running through their field and they literally stampeded and chased after us. It was a pure comical moment, hence the photo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As I was running, in the back of my mind I kept thinking should I pull out 1/2 way through for the sake of my leg. It was hurting but it wasn't actually stopping me from running at a normal pace. It was at this point I thought of a quote that will always be with me. I don't know who it is from but I love it.

 

It's a great quote but the picture makes it even better because its Monument Valley and the one place I have to run through before I leave this earth. It was this quote that spurred me on today and I'm pleased to say we got thought it and completed the Witton/Tockholes double loop of 12.64miles with a run time of two hours. Check out our stats by clicking the link.

How did I feel after completing the race? Exhausted, I wanted to be elated but my injury stopped me feeling like that. I got home and iced it and currently it's feeling sore. I'm praying it clears this week as I can't afford to miss training as we are on a tight schedule to get the ultra run in before the summer holidays. This week is a busy week at work with plenty going on after work with some very important matches for my school teams. It's the business end of the season and these games mean a lot to my students. I have got my fingers crossed for all my players and for myself to heal in quick time. Wish us all good luck! :)

I hope you all have a great week and stay injury free :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment