Sunday 14 April 2013

Training for April 8th-14th

This week it's been pretty easy to get training in as I have been on Easter holidays. In the mornings I have been coaching my son's football team Brinscall Yellow U8s They have been put through their paces and have improved immensely over the week. I am very proud of their progress and hope they develop into an excellent group of players as they get older.

After I had finished coaching I managed to squeeze in three visits to the gym during the week. I worked on developing strength using weights and concentrated on all major muscle groups. My aim is to further strengthen these areas over the next couple of weeks before focusing on improving my muscular endurance.

On Saturday I went for a short run seeing as the weather was great. I went on my Canal Run This is a great little run just to put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. The distance also meant that it would not tire me out for Sunday's long run.

What a cracking run the Vale Ultra group ran this morning! It was the first time all three of us, who are attempting the challenge, could run together. I have already mentioned Wayne in previous posts. Today Ben was able to join us. He is Wayne's long time running buddy and his fitness levels are super human. Last week he ran the Blackpool Marathon in a time of 3hrs45mins. For normal people running today wouldn't be an option after doing the marathon 7 days earlier. Not Ben, however, he was there this morning ready to go. Ben also took part in Tough Mudder with us.

Today we ran what will be the second stage of the Witton Weaver run. We call it the Hobbiton run as one part of it reminds us of the Hobbiton scene in Lord of the Rings. Hopefully, you have clicked the link and can check our stats for the run. We ran 11miles in 1hr45mins over some pretty steep trails. Again you can get an idea of our pace and elevation just by clicking the Hobbiton run link. Check out some of the photos from the run.

Hobbiton
Tockholes Reservoir
One of the steepest climbs! Killer!
The Vale Ultras
The first stage of run- Leeds/Liverpool Canal

 

I really enjoyed today's run with the group. I might not be saying the same thing tomorrow if my body is hurting from it! The rungave us a chance to have a good chat and plan the schedule for the coming weeks. We have also decided to bring forward our race date by a month as Ben is going to China in July. This means we have to step up the training a little bit more now. I'm really excited now about this challenge and really can't wait to give it a go!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. It does look like a scene out of The Hobbit! What a beautiful area to run in.

    ReplyDelete