Friday 5 April 2013

Motivation

Today is a rest day after pushing hard in the gym this week. I thought I would post my thoughts about motivation. What is the thing that has motivated me to want to take on the challenge of the Witton Weaver Ultra?
There are a few things that have inspired me to want to put my body through hell and complete this run. My desire to run began when I was trekking in the Himalayas last summer. I was fortunate to take a group of students from my school to the Indian Himalayas. We trekked up to the base camp of Deo Tibba which was approximately 5000m above sea level. It was probably one of the most demanding things I have ever done. The feeling you get when you achieve something you never thought would be possible in a lifetime is literally indescribable. When we hit Chander Tal lake underneath Deo Tibba and saw its beauty in the harshness of the mountains it felt as though time had stood still. Nothing or no-one will ever take that moment away from me. It's that feeling, that moment, that I want to experience again.

Chandra Tal lake, Himalayas

 

Another factor in what motivates me is Wayne Hartley. Wayne is assistant head teacher at Darwen Vale and is the most unconventional fitness fanatic I have ever met. I'm a complete tech geek and have to know and purchase the new fangled gadgets that might make me last an extra metre or two on a run. Wayne is the extreme opposite and would run barefoot if he had to. If he is fit enough to walk then he's fit enough to run, what an attitude to have! You can probably guess that Wayne is a big part of the Vale Ultra team that is going to attempt this challenge. He is a massive inspiration to the students at Darwen Vale and each year he organises an all day charity circuit training challenge. The students, Wayne and other staff do the challenge from 9am and don't stop until 3.15pm. The money they raise goes to a local charity called Derian House ( www.derianhouse.co.uk ) a hospice for children. The events are always well supported and it raises thousands of pounds for this worthwhile charity. Please click the link and take a look at where our money goes. At this point I have to say well done to all those involved in the event before Easter. You are all super-human heroes!
It was Wayne that encouraged me to do Tough Mudder and get into running last year after my trek. Crossing that finish line after 12miles of physical and mental torture was again a moment that I will never forget. A reason for me to get in shape for the Weaver challenge is also because I want to complete the Spartan Trifecta next autumn. Like Tough Mudder these are three obstacle races that will test my body to its limits. The first one is in September and I'm really excited about giving it a go. The thrill and physical demands of taking part in OCR (obstacle course races) is something I would recommend to anyone.

Vale Mudders

 

In a nutshell that's why I'm here writing this blog, hopefully not to myself! These are the things that have motivated me this year to achieve things beyond my vision of capability! I have long term challenges that I want to try but they are still in the pipeline that will be discussed another time. I won't be writing this blog every day so I won't be boring you to tears don't worry.
What is it that motivates you?
I would be interested to hear other people's stories as I'm sure there are plenty of inspirational ones out there. Say hello and don't be shy! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment