Thursday 4 April 2013

The beginning of the journey

This is my first attempt at creating a blog that I hope gives you an insight into how I prepare for what will be my biggest challenge to date, completing the Witton Weaver Ultra run. I suppose I should start at the beginning and introduce myself.

I am a PE teacher at Darwen Vale High School in the UK and absolutely love my job. Sounds corny I know but it's true. I couldn't possibly work at anything else as sport is my life. Anybody who knows me will testify to that. My favourite sports are football and basketball and have had plenty of success with school teams over the years.

I have a beautiful family and absolutely adore my two kids, Mia and Kyan. Mia is a keen swimmer and has just completed her Honours. She had to do 43 lengths of the pool in twenty minutes. I would be lucky to do four lengths in that time as swimming is definitely not my thing. Kyan is ultra competitive and is a good footballer who plays midfield for Brinscall Yellow u8s. He is also an Xbox fan and takes great delight in beating me at Fifa 13.

I could bore you to death with more facts but I won't as I want to get on to why I'm writing this blog. This summer myself and a colleague from work are going to try and complete the Witton Weaver Ultra Run. This is a 35 mile route which is a spectacular scenic route around Blackburn, Darwen and part of Bolton. Our aim is to try to complete this before I go on holiday in July 2013. This gives us about 15 weeks to train and prepare for it. Most of, in fact all of my friends think I'm mental for even trying it but I love a challenge so why the hell not?!

I have just recovered from injury and I'm now on the path to regaining fitness. This week I have managed four runs with 3 on the treadmill at David Lloyd's gym in chorley. I managed to do 5k in 26mins yesterday which I am pretty pleased about. Tonight I shall be going to the gym to do my weights programme where I will be concentrating on my core and legs. This is an area that the physio identified as something I needed to improve on.

So why am I putting all this in a blog for everyone to read? I'm a bit of a tech geek and love all the new technology available. I am writing this blog on my ipad and I can't wait to start using this technology in my lessons at work. This is one of the reasons why I'm writing this. Eventually I would like my students to create their own fitness blogs so I suppose I need to learn how they work. Hopefully, my students will read what I blog and pick up information that will help them in their studies. I have also been inspired by other running blogs which I have found fascinating to read. These people spend hours training and I have massive respect for them. I hope that what I write people will find interesting as well as informative. Please feel free to make comments or maybe give me advice. I'm no expert in the field of ultra running and would love to hear from others that are. I hope this blog becomes a success and I will try my very best not to bore you to tears...I promise ;-)

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Nice 1st post! I think it's awesome you are doing a 35 miler :) Good luck with getting your students to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany thanks for your kind words. It was blogs like yours that inspired me to do mine :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your journey - as a former school teacher and part-time gym teacher at one time, I can understand your love for what you do. I subscribed to your blog and will be reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for subscribing to the blog Harold. I hope I can complete the journey and keep you interested with my story :)

      Delete