Monday 10 June 2013

The End Is Near

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post and there have been a few reasons that have stopped me posting. Tonight I write this post with a heavy heart as tomorrow I have to attend a funeral of a very good friend of mine's baby. Heaven has now gained a new star, Kayden, may God rest your soul in peace.


Tragic things put a lot of things into perspective for you. As I have done my runs since hearing the tragic news of my friend it has given me a lot of things to think about. Life is very short for us all so it's important you go out and accomplish things before its too late. I am more determined now then ever to achieve my goal of completing the Witton Weaver Challenge and then moving onto the Spartan Trifecta.


I have mentioned in my previous posts that we are attempting this challenge for charity. We are trying to raise money for a local childrens hospice called Derian House. Please take time to visit the website www.derianhouse.co.uk I have actually set up a charity donation page at www.charitygiving.co.uk/valeultras I would appreciate any small donations that you may wish to give. The money will go straight to the charity and trust me it is for a worthwhile cause.


Since my last post, training has been better than expected. Wayne and I have ran 68 miles over 5 runs which is pretty good going. I have never felt fitter and at points on some of the runs I have finally been able to loosen off the chains and run freely without fearing injury. On one of the runs we had got past the 13 mile marker and I was able to churn out 6 minute miles on the flat sections of the trail. This seemed a million miles away weeks ago.


Injury wise we have both managed to cope well with any mishaps. Wayne has a nagging hamstring injury. We have figured out that when he's not chasing after me and Ben then he does not aggravate it as much. I think this is a ploy from him to try to get us to slow down. Only kidding Wayne!!! My calf had a little mishap on Saturday's run. I had a 'little house on the prairie' moment. This is Wayne's analogy of me running downhill as fast as I could. I felt great and was waiting for Wayne to catch up to me. There seemed no problem and when we set off running again I got about 5 yards before I felt a familiar twinge in the calf! Aaaaarrgghhhh! Fortunately I didn't panic and immediately strapped it up with cohesive bandage. This did the trick and I not only completed 13 more miles on that run but also managed Sunday's 13 miler. Still frustrating though to be picking up this injury.


On a side note just in case you are wondering Ben never gets injured. He is the ultimate running machine and puts me and Wayne to shame. Oh the joys of being youthful!


So what lies ahead now? We have a midweek 13 miler to complete and effectively that is training over with. We start to taper for the big event and look forward to the challenge. I know a lot of readers of this blog love the photos but I haven't included any this time. There will be a few next time I promise.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment