Monday 13 May 2013

Same Old Story, Rain & Injury!

It's been a fairly strange week it has to be said. On Monday I basked in tropical temperatures, had a barbecue and a few beers. The perfect way to spend a bank holiday weekend. By wednesday it all changed for the worse.

The weather did its usual trick of making us think summer had finally arrived. Only for it to laugh in our faces and rain continually from wednesday to sunday. At one point there was hailstones pounding the glass roof of my conservatory.

The rain, however, wouldn't stop me for going for my midweek run with Wayne. This time we were joined by a member of staff from work. Janet is in training for Tough Mudder next October and said she'd like to come an run with us. At first she was worried she wouldn't be able to keep up with us. After a mile into the run it was me that couldn't keep up with them. Yep my injury curse struck again and I strained my calf, again. As usual I soldiered on and ran for another 5 miles stupidly and still managed to run a decent-ish time of 57mins for 5.85miles. Janet will have no problems doing Tough Mudder. After she finished the run with us she was off to two more fitness classes that night!!! Mental!!

The next few days were agony and I hobbled around work in considerable pain. I used lots of cold and heat therapy when I got home as I wanted to be ok for my Sunday morning run. Any setback now would put the target of doing the ultra run next month back by at least two months. The pain started to ease and by Sunday morning I felt good enough to be able to run.

Before I left for my run I put some KT tape over the calf muscle. I was praying this would work and keep my calf from damaging anymore. I stuck an Oasis cd in the car stereo and jammed all the way to Wayne's house. Liam Gallagher had nothing on me this morning I can tell you!! This album holds many memories for me especially of the time I spent coaching in California. Driving through Death Valley back then with this blasting out of the car was unforgettable. Shame it wasn't quite that hot this morning but it still made me feel good.

Be Here Now - Oasis (1997)

For the run this morning Wayne, Ben and myself decided that a flat course would be suitable for my predicament so we ran around the Entwistle reservoirs. I managed to get 6.5miles in before I felt the calf stiffening up. I was absolutely delighted with this and what's more I could walk properly when we finished. Ben and Wayne wanted to do more mileage but were happy for me to drop them off in the wilderness somewhere and they could run back home.

Entwistle Reservoir

Aqueduct

I'm not sure how it was possible to get through that run this morning. Maybe it was the KT tape because I have worn it all day and the injury seems to be healing pretty quickly. I'm going to put more of it on this week and see if it does the trick. Fingers crossed because I really can't afford anymore injury setbacks.

What miracle cures have you found that have got you back running quicker than you expected?

What album from years ago still gets you thinking your a rock star in the car?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment